Windows 2003

You are currently browsing the archive for the Windows 2003 category.

The time has came, it is now time to migrate one of my File Servers from Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise to a new server with Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Enterprise. I want to migrate all my shares including share and folder permissions. To minimize time spent on this project I had to find a tool that could do it for me fairly easily. I know that there are tools you can purchase online that can do this for you, like for example: “Secure Copy”, but who wants to spend money those days for such a tools, and as always there are for sure alternative free tools somewhere out there to do it for you. After googling for a minute, I found a tool that Microsoft created for us for this scenario: “Microsoft Server Migration Toolkit“.
You can install it on your new Windows Server 2008 and run a File Server Migration Wizard that will guide you thru the whole process. One thing to mention is that, this tool is not perfect, unless I was maybe doing something wrong :)
When you add your shares, from a specific server, you have to make sure that for each share you check, the appropriate “Target Volume” is set, including share name and share location. If you will not do it, the shares copied will not be as identical as on your original server. Correcting each share might take some time, it all depends on how many of them you have.

So If you don’t want to bother to copy folders, and share them again, and set permissions on those folder again manually for a few hours, you can use that tool and save some time.

File Server Migration Wizard

File Server Migration Wizard

Or… You can always read this HOWTO
.

Self explaining piece of code:

#———————————————————————————————————————————–
#Email options for automated emailed report
$smtpServer = “YOUR SMPT SERVER ADDRESS”
$txtFilePath = “c:\somefile.txt”
#
$msg = new-object Net.Mail.MailMessage
$att = new-object Net.Mail.Attachment($txtFilePath)
$smtp = new-object Net.Mail.SmtpClient($smtpServer)

$msg.From = “Some Email Address”
$msg.To.Add(”Some Email Address”)
$msg.Subject = “Some Subject”
$msg.Body = “Some Body Data”
$msg.Attachments.Add($att)

$smtp.Send($msg)
#———————————————————————————————————————————–

When you deploy your image using WinPE, it creates nice log under:
c:\Windows\temp\DeploymentsLogs

One TIP for whoever will read this, is:
Download “SMS 2003 Toolkit 2″ and check out “SMS Trace”.

If you want to analyze any of the logs, they are presented to you in human-readable form.

You will find out more small little useful applications, once you install the toolkit.

Ok, It took me, 4h to google for answer… but finally I found something what made me happy.

I installed Windows DS on my Win2003 server. Configured. As I have already WinPE .wim, we created it using MDT, I just imported it to WDS.

When I booted my client machine, I got this error:
TFTP
PXE-T01: File not found
PXE-E3B: TFTP Error - File Not Found

Was not sure what is going on, I tried a few things, solution/comments I found googling…

…and then from Microsoft TechNet Forums:

So, what’s probably going on here is that your x64 VM is reporting itself as x86. This is a common problem and can cause this kind of error.

You can work around it as you say by adding a 32-bit WinPE, or by turning on Architecture Discovery using
WDSUTIL /Set-Server /ArchitectureDiscovery:Yes

I turned on Architecture Discovery, and it worked for me, my client machine booted into our WinPE.

Locations of visitors to this page